As you guys may have noticed (you noticed right?!), we've taken a break the past few days. A big reason for this was the election results, and the frustration and the discouragement that came with it. Basically we were pissed and mad and didn't want to write.
You know that really nice Mr. Rogers quote that is always popping up on Facebook when something shitty happens?
WELL BITCHES, IT'S TIME LISTEN TO MADAME-MOTHERFUCKING-ROGERS AND BE A FUCKING HELPER.
Now is the time for smart, creative thinking, good ideas and committed, long-term action. We need to prioritize and protect the people who are most at risk with this upcoming presidency, and look to the future to make sure we elect and give platforms to great leaders. This is not the time to be mad for a few days and move on.
With that, we'd like to present a list of ideas we have of what we can do to be #1st place bad bitch helpers. We'd love to hear more ideas from you!
1. Anytime I see an idiot online defending this tangerine enema, oops, tangerine enema-elect, I'm donating a dollar to one of these charities, cuz pettiness feels SO nice when it helps a good cause. You can spend hours carefully crafting some biting, snarky response on Facebook but giving a dollar or two to a organization makes WAY more of a difference.
2. Get yourself an IUD. Make sure your friends get them too. We don't know the future of healthcare and reproduction rights, so make sure you are protected. IUDS can last anywhere from 5-12 years, so it's a great option for the upcoming years. You can talk to your doctor, or visit Planned Parenthood, or your local women's health clinic.
3. Give back to your community by volunteering. Not only does it make the world a better place, it also makes you a better person! You can also bring it up at all the holiday parties just around the corner to really up your smug factor. Start by thinking about something you already care about or are good at and google away. There are so many opportunities out there that you might not be aware of. If you are a recovering nihilist and care about nothing, go for the low hanging fruit and volunteer at a local soup kitchen or food bank a couple times this holiday season.
4. Get on donorschoose.org! This technically should go under #1, but the children deserve their own bullet point. You know who is gonna suffer the most from this fucked up election? The children. They are our future so lets invest in them. Donors Choose is an amazing website which allows teachers to post projects to be funded by whoever stumbles across their project. You don't have to donate a lot and it allows you to fund things that teachers want and have a plan for. You know exactly where your money is going and you are funding awesome stuff for awesome kids. Find a project you care about and give a little. The best part is you can get personalized thank you letters from the students that receive the materials you funded. Talk about great center piece for your fridge.
5. Start helping NOW for the 2018 election. Every single seat in the House of Representatives is up for grabs. 33 Senators. California will be getting a new governor. Think about HOW MUCH BETTER the next few years could be if we have smart dependable people working in other parts of our government. Start educating yourself and commit to volunteering for 1 leader you think has some good ideas (we're looking at you Gavin).
6. Take care of yourself, your loved ones, and people you come across that need it. Smile at strangers, exercise, buy yourself a treat, buy a friend a treat, send a couple text check-ins to friends and family, quit FB for a while (but make sure to keep reading Ordinary Thrills, duh), read a good book, clean your room, have friends over for dinner or cocktails, be loose with your compliments, listen to Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen as many times as you need to.
7. Whatever you choose to do, STICK WITH IT. Everyone is mad and determined right now. But changes will only be made if we are still taking action months, years from now. No matter how monotonous it may seem, get involved and stay involved.
Ok readers now lets get our pussies in formation